Blog # 2
Hello everyone, my name is James. I am a student at Quincy University. I am studying to become a full-time teacher in the Rockfor public school. I have been working with teenagers for over 15 years. During that time, I have enjoyed teaching, learning, and staying envolved with student's academics. Everyday is a learning experience for me. I too am still learning. My classes are on-line and that in of itself is a great challenge. The learning methods are certainly different. The class already assumes that each student has their computer skills perfected, that is completely not the truth.
I live in Rockford, IL. I work with at-risk students. Many of these students are at risk of school failure. Others, experience negative home difficulty. I seek to do my part to help these students. I have learned that education is the key to success. One must be skilled in many tasks to be successful and as well as learning how to teach and share knowledge with students.
Blog 3
ReplyDeleteMy visit to an Assistive Technology Store
ReplyDeleteNov
29
Posted 2 hours ago by J. Parker
Nov
27
My visit to an Assistive Technology Store
J. Parker’s Blog 4
CLASS MSE518C-B
I participated in a class assignment that required me to visit a store that sold assistive technology to assist others with disabilities, mainly students. I decided to visit a shop in my community name “Enablemart.” The store had many wonderful devices to help people with disabilities.
J. Parker’s Blog 4
CLASS MSE518C-B
I participated in a class assignment that required me to visit a store that sold assistive technology to assist others with disabilities, mainly students. I decided to visit a shop in my community name “Enablemart.” The store had many wonderful devices to help people with disabilities.
The shop is located in Handover Park, IL., and it is only a few miles from my job. The store had many items that would give aid to the non-sighted. I spoke with a salesman name Ron. Ron walked me to the low-vision section of the shop first and explained their product line in detail. To my surprise, I was shown many items. I looked over a screen readers for low vision. Color teller, video magnifiers, note takers, Braille embossers, and daisy players. All of these items were great tools that could be used in school for the disable.
The store also had a section for hearing loss. The store had amplified big button phones that consider a top brand; other hearing gadgets were included to help deaf and non-hearing customers. Ameriphone and clear sound were on display. The salesman showed me a device called a pock talker ultra and a motiva personal FM system.
The next section that I was shown was described as an “Augmentative Communication Devices." These devices were made to assist people with language disorders. The device can also be called an alternative communication device. (ASC Devices). In addition, a text speaks with a keyboard was explained by the salesman. A person could communicate a text-to-speech sound. Another gadget that was put on display and had a tech touch screen for communicating. A person could communicate by touching the screen, and the screen would produce sound or words. Moreover, a device called a talking brix is known as a best seller. This device is used with big pictures to communicate. Along with a go talk 20 talking symbols. The symbols would make sounds. The most important items for sale was the learning and education tools.
A Full-scale reading program called Edmark Reading programs for the visual impaired. In addition, the visual discrimination for the reading program. This program enhanced the learning experiences for each student with reading. The student can receive individualized education program tailored for many learning situations. The store would send out a representative any time to explain any product sold. These tools and services can be use in a verity of learning settings. I will certainly visit this store enablemart and utilize all the services, and equipment sold for my future classroom and school.
Posted Yesterday by J. Parker
Labels: Learning About Assistive Technology
Subscribe
Subscribe
RSS FeedAdd to Google Reader View RSS Feed Loading... Send feedback